Podcasts de historia

McCormick, Cyrus - Historia

McCormick, Cyrus - Historia

Empresario-inventor
(1809-1884)

Cyrus Hall McCormick nació el 15 de febrero de 1809 en el condado de Rockbridge, Virginia. Aunque tenía poca educación formal, fue fuertemente influenciado por su padre, quien intentó infructuosamente perfeccionar un segador mecánico. En 1831, el hijo logró construir tal dispositivo.

Sin embargo, fue solo en 1834 que obtuvo una patente, cuando se enfrentó a la amenaza de inventores competidores. Es comprensible que McCormick mantuviera a su segador fuera del mercado durante varios años más, con el fin de realizar mejoras en el mecanismo; e incluso cuando lo introdujo en el mercado, concentró la producción en una sola planta en Chicago.

Cuando finalmente expiró la patente en 1848, volvió a enfrentarse a muchos rivales. Sin embargo, logró mejorar y luego mantener su posición en el mercado.

Viajando por todo el mundo, promovió y demostró vigorosamente su producto. Una muestra en la exposición Crystal Palace de Londres (1851) resultó ser especialmente útil para aumentar las ventas.

Además de sus muchos intereses comerciales en todo el país, fue especialmente activo en el partido demócrata en Illinois. También estuvo muy interesado en la iglesia presbiteriana durante el resto de su vida e hizo muchas contribuciones a ella. McCormick murió en Chicago el 13 de mayo de 1884.


Una historia MUY breve del área silvestre de McCormick Tract

Todo comenzó en 1778 cuando Robert McCormick emigró de Irlanda y se estableció en Rockbridge Co. Virginia. Su hijo Cyrus Hall McCormick, a la edad de 22 años, estudió los registros de sus padres sobre segadores fallidos y, en 1831, demostró con éxito su segadora a un pequeño grupo de agricultores y en 1834 recibió su primera patente sobre la segadora. Continuó trabajando en el diseño hasta que, en 1847, Cyrus se mudó a Chicago y abrió una fábrica de segadoras, que se convirtió en The McCormick Company.

Esta fábrica principal tuvo mucho éxito pero el 8 de octubre de 1871 se quemó con el resto de Chicago. Cyrus tomó la iniciativa en la reconstrucción de la ciudad y un año después abrió el centro de convenciones McCormick Place para mostrarle al mundo que Chicago se había recuperado del incendio. Continuó desarrollando McCormick Co. hasta su muerte en 1884.

Cyrus Rice McCormick, el fundador de McCormick Tract nació el 16 de mayo de 1859. Cuando era adolescente, Cyrus cambió su segundo nombre a Hall en honor a su padre. A la edad de 25 años, mientras estaba en Princeton, asumió el cargo de presidente de la empresa de su padre inmediatamente después de la muerte de su padre.

Los últimos 25 años del siglo XIX vieron a muchas empresas desarrollar cosechadoras y segadoras con muchas demandas. Finalmente en 1902, por sugerencia de JP Morgan, los cinco más grandes, John Deere Co., Deering Co., Milwaukee Harvester Co., Champion y McCormick Co., se unieron bajo el nombre de International Harvester Co. esta fusión fue realizada por un brillante joven abogado, que representó a McCormick Co., Cyrus Bentley. Cyrus H. McCormick, a los 36 años, se convirtió en presidente, mientras que Charles Deering asumió el cargo de presidente de la junta. En 1918, Cyrus se convirtió en presidente de la junta con su hermano Harold como presidente.

A Robert McCormick se le ocurrió la idea del segador,

Cyrus H McCormick desarrolló la idea en un invento comercializable y comenzó su producción, y

Su hijo, Cyrus Hall McCormick, fundador de McCormick Tract, se convirtió en industrial.

Descubrimiento y formación del McCormick Tract

La historia de McCormick Tract comenzó en 1884. Este fue el año en que murió el mayor Cyrus y su hijo Cyrus se convirtió en presidente de McCormick Co. y realizó su primer viaje de campamento. Mientras estaba en Princeton, McCormick conoció a un profesor llamado Dr. William Gray, quien era un ávido amante de la naturaleza. Tenía un campamento permanente en una isla en Bayfield Wi. y había invitado a muchas personas a ser sus huéspedes a lo largo de los años, incluidos los McCormick, que se hicieron grandes amigos de él.

El Dr. Gray solía ir a acampar por todo Estados Unidos. Seleccionaría el área buscando en un mapa un lugar con dos o tres cabezas de agua juntas con arroyos que fluyen en direcciones opuestas y muchos lagos pequeños. Estas áreas solían proporcionar excelentes áreas para acampar con abundante caza.

Un día, en 1884, el Dr. Gary invitó a Cyrus a que lo acompañara en uno de sus viajes de campamento. Antes de irse, se reunió con la madre de Cyrus e hizo que le enviaran algunas de las pertenencias personales de Cyrus para que Cyrus se sintiera como en casa. Cyrus, el Dr. Gray y otro compañero viajaron hacia el norte en tren hasta Champion y luego en un guía indio hacia el norte por un antiguo sendero indio a lo largo del río Peshekee. Cuando llegaron al campamento en el borde de un lago sin nombre, Cyrus se sorprendió al ver una gran carpa blanca, camas con sábanas y una variedad de sus propios efectos personales.

En los años siguientes, Cyrus y su abogado Cyrus Bentley comenzaron a frecuentar esta área. Vendrían y establecerían un campamento base temporal en una pequeña isla rocosa en este lago. En uno de esos viajes, estaban sentados en la isla mirando un alto acantilado rocoso y decidieron que debería llamarse Fortaleza. Más tarde nombraron al lago después de este acantilado y lo llamaron Fortress Lake.

A finales de 1800, Peter White, J.M. Longyear y otros ejecutivos de la comunidad de Marquette decidieron establecer un club exclusivo en las montañas Huron. Lo llamaron Huron Mountains Shooting and Fishing Club y promovieron la membresía en Detroit y Chicago. Se acercó a Cyrus Bentley y decidió unirse en 1902. Durante los muchos viajes a Fortress Lake, Bentley, que era un ávido excursionista, pensó que sería genial construir un sendero desde Fortress Lake Island hasta Huron Mountain Club. McCormick estuvo de acuerdo y decidió continuar con la compra de la propiedad. Envió a un explorador, Edwin McLean, quien evaluó el área y pensó que se podía comprar por alrededor de $ 5 el acre. Sabiendo que el precio de la tierra sería elevado si el vendedor supiera de la riqueza del Sr. McCormick, le pidió a su secretaria, F.A. Stewert, que se pusiera en contacto con un agente de la tierra en Marquette, W.E. Lewis, para actuar como su agente inmobiliario. Al dirigirse a los propietarios de la tierra, le cotizaron al Sr. Lewis un precio fijo de $ 10 por acre. Resultó que el agente de tierras de los propietarios, John M. Longyear, había oído que el Sr. McCormick estaba interesado en comprar el terreno y no estaba interesado en negociar con el Sr. Lewis. Por eso había elevado el precio de la tierra. McCormick se vio obligado a informar al Sr. Longyear que el Sr. Lewis era su agente y, en septiembre de 1904, McCormick compró 151,75 acres por $ 3,16 el acre. Esto cubría el extremo oeste de Fortress Lake y abarcaba la isla.

Durante los siguientes 16 años, 13 compras separadas establecieron el terreno en 2933 acres. El primer edificio construido fue la cabaña de la biblioteca en la isla en 1904. La mayoría de los otros edificios de la isla datan de 1906 o 1907. Por esa época se llevó a cabo una expansión a la orilla del lago y se desarrolló bien en la década de 1930.

La cabaña del Sr. Bentley en las Montañas Huron se completó en 1905. Ese mismo año se completó el camino desde el campamento en Fortress Island hasta la Cabaña Bentley en el Lago Superior.

Fortress Lake se convirtió en un lugar muy concurrido con cabañas en construcción, equipos trabajando en el desarrollo de senderos, incluidos paseos marítimos a lo largo de los bordes de Fortress y su vecino lago Bulldog. Uno de los trabajos que menos gustaba era dragar el canal entre los lagos Fortress y Bulldog para que los barcos pudieran pasar fácilmente entre los dos. Cuando McCormick compró la tierra, había una gran presa de castores en el extremo este de Fortress Lake seguida de arroyos pantanosos y otras pequeñas presas de castores que conducían a Bulldog Lake. El equipo de McCormick construyó el canal de 1900 pies aquí entre 1908 y 1916. Lo dragaron y luego introdujeron postes y conectaron cables a estos postes. Los barcos podrían ser arrastrados a mano a través de este canal. Los postes y los accesorios de cables permanecen en el canal hoy.

Otra de las muchas tareas fue el desarrollo del sistema de senderos alrededor de los lagos y del sendero Bentley desde Fortress Lake hasta la cabaña del Sr. Bentley en el lago Superior.

En noviembre de 1907, Cyrus McCormick decidió nombrar oficialmente el lago White Deer Lake en honor a un ciervo albino que él y otros invitados habían visto con frecuencia.

Octubre de 1935 fue la última visita de Cyrus al sitio. Murió el 2 de junio de 1936 a la edad de 77 años. La propiedad del asentamiento fue a manos de un hijo, Gordon McCormick, quien inició un proyecto de renovación de todos los edificios. Esto continuó en los años 40. 1947 fue la última visita de Gordon al asentamiento. Murió en 1967 y legó el acuerdo al USDA.

Esta información se toma exclusivamente de las siguientes dos referencias:

Superior Heartland A Backwoods History Vol. I Libro II de C. Fred Rydholm publicado en forma privada por C. Fred Rydholm, 221 Lakewood Lane, Marquette MI 49855, 1989.

Una historia del uso de la familia McCormick del campamento White Deer Lake, el bosque experimental McCormick, condados de Baraga, Marquette, Michigan. Enviado a: USDA Forest Service, Ottawa National Forest, Ironwood, Michigan, 49938. Enviado por: Mid-American Research Center, Loyola University, Chicago, Illinois, 60611. Investigador principal, Theodore J. Karamanski.

"Mi agradecimiento a Tom Foye por permitirme espacio en su excelente sitio web. Ha representado muy bien el área de McCormick Tract. Si desea conocer más sobre la historia de este lugar único, he escrito un libro sobre el origen, la vida y la desaparición desde 1906 hasta su adquisición por parte del Servicio Forestal de EE. UU. En 1968. Mi padre, Ted Tonkin, era el superintendente de el campamento de White Deer Lake durante 38 años y como familia pasamos los veranos viviendo allí.

Un extracto del libro de la Sra. Cooley que describe la vida en White Deer Lake Camp.

"Desde el comienzo del clima helado a fines del otoño, después de que el nivel del lago se bajó para acomodar la escorrentía de primavera esperada, un lugar a unos 200 'de la costa, justo al lado del cobertizo para botes, se mantuvo libre de nieve. Esta área mide aproximadamente 100 pies cuadrados. Cerca de mediados de enero, llegó la hora de cortar el hielo. Cuando el hielo se había acumulado a 20 "de espesor, se cortaron enormes bloques que medían 20" x 18 "x 20" y pesaban aproximadamente 200 libras. Los hombres usaron una sierra para hielo de mano para cortar los trozos y pinzas de hielo para sacarlos del agua. Estos se cargaron en un pequeño trineo y se llevaron a la casa de hielo ubicada a unos 500 'de la costa en el extremo sur del edificio Kitchen. Si las condiciones lo permitían, se empleaba el tractor para tirar del trineo por una colina corta pero empinada. De lo contrario, los hombres tuvieron que hacerlo con un cabrestante manual. Un bloque y aparejos llevaron los trozos al interior de la cámara de hielo. Una vez en su lugar, estos bloques se apilaron en medio de montones de aserrín. En un buen invierno, se almacenarían hasta 300 bloques (o alrededor de 26-30 toneladas de hielo) para su uso en las neveras durante el año siguiente ''.

Reproducido aquí con permiso de Kathleen Cooley. ¡Gracias por escribir tu excelente libro, Kathleen!


Cyrus McCormick (1809-1884)

Eficiencia agrícola . En las primeras décadas del siglo XIX, la cantidad de acres que una familia podía cultivar dependía a menudo de cuántas personas podían conseguir en los campos. Como resultado, la mayoría de los agricultores que producían para el mercado enfrentaban una continua escasez de mano de obra, especialmente en la temporada de cosecha, pero esto pronto cambiaría. Las nuevas máquinas redujeron el tiempo necesario para cosechar cereales aproximadamente a la mitad entre 1800 y 1840, y a la mitad nuevamente para 1880. La producción agrícola y la eficiencia crecieron rápidamente, un desarrollo crucial para la economía de Occidente.

Arados John Deere . Los arados de hierro y acero pronto reemplazaron a los de madera. En 1837, John Deere construyó su primer arado de hierro con filo de acero. Fabricaba anualmente mil arados a mediados de la década de 1840 y diez mil al año en la década siguiente. Estos nuevos arados permitieron al colono cortar milla tras milla de pradera del Medio Oeste que de otro modo sería resistente, pero ni siquiera los arados de Deere pudieron superar el problema de encontrar mano de obra suficiente en el momento de la cosecha. Los agricultores que cultivaban granos pequeños como el trigo todavía necesitaban trabajadores para cosechar con hoces, guadañas o implementos de mano más grandes llamados cunas.

McCormick Reapers . Cyrus Hall McCormick nació en Virginia en 1809, su padre, Robert, era algo así como un manitas. Los primeros segadores mecánicos aparecieron en Inglaterra alrededor de 1800, y los inventores en Europa y Estados Unidos continuaron explorando nuevas posibilidades. Robert McCormick experimentó con una segadora y se la dio a su hijo, Cyrus, en 1831. Después de realizar mejoras, el joven McCormick patentó su nueva segadora en 1834. Aunque Cyrus McCormick dejó el negocio de las máquinas agrícolas durante unos años, su segador, que llegó a transformar la agricultura en el Trans Appalachian West, salió al mercado en 1840. Entre su propio taller en Virginia y algunos contratistas en Cincinnati, Ohio, McCormick produjo 150 segadores en 1845. McCormick se dio cuenta de que una fábrica en el Medio Oeste podría aumentar significativamente las ventas , así que en 1847 él y un socio construyeron una fábrica en Chicago. Fabricaron 500 segadores mecánicos allí en 1848.

Competidores . Es importante darse cuenta de que Cyrus McCormick no fue el único inventor del nuevo segador. De hecho, Obed Hussey patentó su primer segador un año antes que McCormick y siguió siendo su principal competidor durante años. También había otros competidores, lo que dificultaba la protección de las patentes de McCormick & # x2019. McCormick acudió repetidamente a los tribunales para proteger una variedad de patentes. A pesar de estos obstáculos legales, en 1850 McCormick había producido más de 1.600 segadores y había capturado el 50 por ciento del mercado estadounidense. Durante la década de 1850, mientras que el número de segadores que produjo aumentó como resultado de la demanda continua, su participación en el mercado disminuyó. En 1865 McCormick poseía solo el 5 por ciento del mercado de segadores. De hecho, los nuevos competidores estaban inventando y produciendo mejores máquinas con mayor rapidez. Aún así, McCormick Harvesting Machine Company continuó compitiendo en la última mitad del siglo XIX. Cuando Cyrus murió en 1884, su hijo Cyrus Jr. se hizo cargo del negocio. En 1902, los McCormick y otros grandes productores de segadoras mecánicas se fusionaron para crear una empresa gigante conocida como International Harvester.

Ventas al exterior . El éxito de Cyrus McCormick & # x2019 dependió de varios factores. Como inventor temprano, dio un salto en el mercado y logró obtener patentes cruciales. El astuto McCormick también empleó métodos ingeniosos para comercializar a sus segadores. Al principio, McCormick viajó al campo para ver sus máquinas en funcionamiento durante la temporada de cosecha. Más tarde, sus agentes y mecánicos ayudaron a reparar los segadores en el campo. McCormick desarrolló una garantía para sus máquinas y las vendió a crédito. Al igual que la competencia, también comercializó sus segadores en sociedades agrícolas y ferias. En 1851, McCormick realizó una gira por Europa para realizar pruebas con su segador. Tuvo tanto éxito que utilizó sus elogios europeos para hacer publicidad en su país. Pronto, sus competidores se fueron al extranjero para promocionar sus propias máquinas.

El legado de McCormick & # x2019 . Grandes cambios en la agricultura occidental siguieron al desarrollo de la segadora McCormick y otras nuevas máquinas. Dado que la cantidad de acres que un agricultor podía cosechar aumentó drásticamente, las granjas en Occidente se hicieron cada vez más grandes. Como ocurre con todos los cambios tecnológicos, algunos estadounidenses se vieron perjudicados por estos desarrollos. Las familias de agricultores más pobres a menudo se daban cuenta de que no podían competir con los agricultores comerciales más ricos. La menor dependencia de las manos humanas empujó a muchos trabajadores agrícolas hacia las fábricas urbanas del país. Las consecuencias ecológicas eventualmente incluyeron la erosión del suelo y la transformación de las praderas estadounidenses en áreas de relativamente poca biodiversidad. Antes de 1860, tales preocupaciones aún no eran evidentes para muchos estadounidenses y, en cambio, la nación celebró el surgimiento de una agricultura a gran escala aparentemente eficiente.


Cyryus Hall McCormick (1809-1884)

Infancia de Virginia. Cyrus Hall McCormick nació en una estricta familia de agricultores presbiterianos en el valle de Shenandoah, en el oeste de Virginia, el 15 de febrero de 1809. El abuelo de Cyrus & # x2019 se mudó a Rockbridge Country desde Pensilvania durante la Revolución Americana (en la que luchó) y allí se estableció la granja. que permaneció en la familia McCormick hasta el siglo XX. El padre de Cyrus, Robert, se consideraba algo así como un inventor y había diseñado, entre otras cosas, una descascaradora de tréboles, un fuelle para herreros e incluso una máquina de lectura. Cyrus, que creció trabajando en la granja familiar y asistiendo a una escuela rural cuando el tiempo lo permitía, debió haber contraído el error mecánico de su padre. Para cuando cumplió los veintidós años, tenía una patente estadounidense en su haber para un arado de ladera. Pero Cyrus usó sus propias ideas a la hora de diseñar y construir su primera segadora en 1831.

Mercado lucrativo. Cuando McCormick (con la ayuda de los esclavos propiedad de su padre) llevó su nuevo y desgarbado artilugio al campo de avena de John Steele para un campo de prueba, no fue la primera década de 1820 que Patrick Bell de Escocia construyó una máquina que cosechó hasta diez acres al día, varias veces lo que el hombre podría hacer a mano. Sin embargo, con sus pequeñas granjas y abundante mano de obra barata, los agricultores británicos tenían poco interés en los dispositivos mecánicos de recolección como Bell & # x2019 s reaper. En Estados Unidos, en cambio, la situación se revirtió. La vasta extensión de tierra cultivable y la oferta comparativamente escasa de trabajadores exigían la adopción de dispositivos que ahorraran mano de obra. El trigo, en particular, tuvo que ser cosechado en el momento justo, antes de que sus espigas se rompieran demasiado y derramaran su preciosa carga en el suelo, y dado que el trigo de todos en una región en particular alcanzaba la madurez aproximadamente al mismo tiempo, los agricultores quienes no pudieran encontrar suficiente mano de obra durante el período crucial podrían perder toda su cosecha. Una máquina económica que podía cortar el grano de forma segura y rápida en el campo tenía el potencial de acceder a un mercado lucrativo.

Competidores tempranos. Después de que el primer segador de Cyrus & # x2019 tropezó con seis acres de avena Steele & # x2019, y luego sobrevivió a otra prueba pública más grande en 1832 (después de varias mejoras mecánicas), McCormick comenzó a engrosar su máquina y tenía el potencial de hacer dinero. Continuó mejorando su diseño original a lo largo de la década de 1830, pero otras empresas familiares absorbieron su tiempo, e hizo poco en la forma de comercializar o fabricar su máquina hasta que Obediah Hussey de Ohio comenzó a construir y vender una segadora propia en el medio. de la década. Cada hombre había llegado a su deseo de forma independiente (Hussey patentó su segador en 1833, un año antes de que McCormick recibiera su patente), sin embargo, el segador de Hussey & # x2019 operaba bajo principios similares a los de McCormick & # x2019, que se convirtieron en una fuente de fricción y rivalidad. entre los dos hombres. Una prueba de campo cara a cara en 1843 de las dos máquinas resultó inconcusa, pero la competencia (así como la deuda acumulada de otra empresa familiar) llevó a Cyrus a comenzar a producir y vender sus máquinas en serio. Utilizando la herrería de la familia y la ayuda de su padre y hermanos, McCormick construyó y vendió veintinueve segadores en 1843 y cincuenta en 1844. McCormick se dio cuenta, sin embargo, de que solo podía vender algunos de los costosos segadores (de $ 100 a $ 150). a los agricultores de las colinas de Shenandoah, con sus pequeños campos rocosos y suelos desgastados.

Se mueve hacia el oeste. En 1844, McCormick vendió varios segadores a los agricultores de las ricas tierras del valle de Ohio y, a fines de ese año, se fue al oeste para ver que sus máquinas estuvieran correctamente ensambladas. Al visitar las vastas tierras de cultivo de las praderas recientemente pobladas de Illionis, Wisconsin y Missouri, McCormick observó una situación hecha a medida para su segador, y en 1847 él y su familia se mudaron a la prometedora ciudad de Chicago. En un año, el ferrocarril y el telégrafo llegaron a la ciudad, y Chjicago y el centro de envío para todo el Oeste. McCormick se encontraba en el epicentro de esa transición, armado con un invento ideal para la cosecha de la pradera.

Innovaciones. McCormick vendió 450 segadores de su fábrica de Chicago en 1848, y más de 1000 en 1850, pero su éxito estaba asegurado. Sus patentes expiraron en 1848, abriendo el campo a ciudadanos de competidores, algunos con diseños superiores a los de McCormick & # x2019. Además, los agricultores dudaban en gastar más de $ 100 en una pieza de maquinaria de la que no sabían nada. McCVormick adoptó algunas de sus rivales & # x2019 mejoras, como asientos para el piloto y el rastrillo, una mejor barra de corte y, finalmente, encuadernadores automáticos, y mantuvo bajos sus precios mediante reducciones de costos en su fábrica. Era un competidor agresivo y muy litigioso. Pero la verdadera innovación de McCormick & # x2019 vino con sus esquemas de marketing. Los agentes de McCormick demostraron su segador en ferias agrícolas en todo el Medio Oeste, enfrentando las máquinas contra las de otras compañías en concursos que atrajeron a grandes multitudes. Escribió sus propios anuncios exaltando las virtudes de su & # x201C Virginia Reaper & # x201D (a menudo con testimonios de agricultores) mientras que al mismo tiempo ilustraba lo fácil y rentable que era usar su dispositivo. Organizó un sistema de agentes de ventas que vendían segadores a comisión, pero también eran responsables de reparar las máquinas y educar a los agricultores sobre su funcionamiento. Finalmente, ofreció a sus segadores a la venta en un plan de crédito a plazos, lo que le permitió a un agricultor hacer un pago inicial en la primavera, usar la máquina para traer la cosecha y luego pagar el resto del costo en diciembre. Ayudado por la rápida expansión de la red ferroviaria y un fuerte aumento en el precio del trigo, McCormick vendió más de cuatro mil segadores al año a mediados de la década de 1850, y había vendido un total de ocho mil en 1860. En 1851, el segador ganó el codiciado Medalla del Consejo en la Exposición del Crystal Palace de Londres McCormick aprovechó este momento oportuno para iniciar una red de ventas en el extranjero.

Últimos años. Según él mismo admitió, McCormick vivía para su negocio de la segadora. & # x201C Tengo un propósito en la vida & # x201D dijo, & # x201C el éxito y el uso generalizado de mis máquinas. Todos los demás asuntos son para mí demasiado insignificantes para ser considerados. & # x201D McCormick no fumaba ni fumaba y no se casó hasta bien entrada la mediana edad, aunque él y su esposa lograron tener siete hijos, uno de los cuales, Cyrus Jr., se hizo cargo de la empresa. Contribuyó en gran medida al Partido Demócrata, sirvió en el comité nacional del partido y se postuló para el cargo (sin éxito) varias veces, una vez para vicepresidente. McCormick, uno de los primeros magnates industriales de Estados Unidos en 2019, invirtió en ferrocarriles, minas y otros emprendimientos comerciales, convirtiéndose en director de la junta directiva del gigante Union Pacific Railway. McCormick, un presbiteriano estricto de toda la vida, también donó grandes sumas de dinero a la iglesia y al Seminario Teológico Presbiteriano de Chicago (llamado Seminario Teológico McCormick hasta 1928). Sin embargo, a pesar de todas estas actividades, McCormick Harvesting Machine Company (incorporada en 1879 y combinada con otras firmas para formar International Harvester en 1902) siguió siendo la institución central de su vida. Continuó sirviendo como presidente de la firma, supervisando las mejoras en la fabricación y el diseño de la segadora McCormick, hasta su muerte en 1884.


Historia empresarial de Chicago: los hermanos McCormick y el surgimiento de los megacorps

El tema de los hermanos McCormick y su desarrollo del "Virginia Reaper" y lo que más tarde se convirtió en el conglomerado de Chicago, International Harvester, evoca innumerables ironías y consecuencias no deseadas en la historia de Estados Unidos. Éstos son sólo algunos: Los esclavistas del sur elevan a los estados del norte, a través de la producción de excedentes de grano y la creación de excedentes de mano de obra, a una ventaja industrial y de mano de obra decisiva en la Guerra Civil. Gracias en gran parte a la invención de McCormick, por ejemplo, el Norte exportó 200 millones de fanegas de grano a Europa durante la Guerra Civil aligerando el trabajo de todos los agricultores de granos y enderezando sus espaldas, los virginianos bien intencionados aceleran la urbanización e industrialización de su nación. . Estas fuerzas destruyen, a su vez, su amada forma de vida agraria jeffersoniana y transforman a los agricultores en una raza pintoresca y en desaparición.

LOS HERMANOS McCORMICK, VISIONARIOS DE NEGOCIOS

A lo largo de su vida, Cyrus, William y Leander McCormick hicieron nada menos que revolucionar la agricultura y definir una industria completamente nueva. Ellos pusieron fin a siglos de cosechar granos a mano, con hoz, guadaña y cuna. Al hacerlo, se convirtieron en millonarios, los gigantes reconocidos del nuevo negocio de maquinaria agrícola y un nombre familiar en todo el mundo. Pero, ¿por qué fueron los hermanos McCormick quienes satisficieron una larga necesidad de maquinaria que ahorrara trabajo en la granja? ¿Quién sustituyó el músculo humano por el músculo animal? Diferenciar a los McCormick de sus rivales y competidores, y ponerlos a la vanguardia del cambio, fue su fluidez en los lenguajes de invención, marketing y organización, una rara combinación de dones. Como pocos lo han hecho, llevaron con éxito al mercado el invento de su padre, la primera segadora mecánica práctica. Para hacerlo, tuvieron que ser pioneros en métodos nuevos y originales de vender, publicitar y distribuir su producto. No había nadie a quien imitar. Serían los empresarios que otros imitarían, un modelo de hecho para la futura industria del automóvil.

El genio empresarial de los McCormick se reveló de múltiples formas interrelacionadas. Llamémoslo "El sistema McCormick". La suya era una nueva cultura empresarial, una expresión del ingenio sureño en lugar del ingenio yanqui más anunciado que se encuentra en William Deering y John Deere. Las técnicas novedosas de McCormick derrocaron la tradición de "caveat emptor" y sustituyeron la confianza, la responsabilidad, el reconocimiento de marca y la buena voluntad del cliente. Para ampliar el mercado de su máquina, los hermanos introdujeron algunos ingeniosos dispositivos. Un incentivo poderoso fue la llamada "prueba gratuita", una garantía por escrito con cada venta, una garantía de devolución de dinero de un reembolso completo si su producto no funcionaba satisfactoriamente. Un incentivo relacionado fue su "plan de compra a plazos". En 1849 vendieron su segadora de $ 120 a los agricultores en los siguientes términos: $ 30 de pago inicial antes de la cosecha y los $ 90 restantes, más el 6% de interés, para el 1 de diciembre. (Todos los costos de envío y flete, por cierto, fueron a cargo del comprador. .) Claramente, los hermanos estaban dispuestos a tomar grandes riesgos financieros sin precedentes para comercializar su producto.

Pero no se trataba de la apuesta que uno podría pensar. Parece que han tenido en cuenta las grandes cuentas por cobrar en sus cálculos de precio y beneficio. Desde 1849 hasta 1858, las facturas vencidas e impagas se dispararon a más de $ 400,000, potencialmente desastrosas si no hubieran obtenido alrededor del 150% de ganancias por segador.9 Además, estandarizaron su considerable margen de ganancias al establecer un precio que era publicitado, fijo y no negociable. No había regateo ni negociación con el cliente, ni descuentos especiales. Todos pagaron el mismo precio.

Otra de las innovaciones de McCormick fue la "prueba de campo", una pieza de publicidad y promoción especialmente eficaz en las zonas rurales de Estados Unidos. Los hermanos organizaron concursos públicos, gratuitos para los espectadores, a cargo de fabricantes rivales de segadoras. De hecho, invirtieron fuertemente en publicidad de todas las formas e incluso publicaron una revista comercial distribuida por su red de agentes que logró un gran número de lectores entre los agricultores. Participaron en numerosas ferias y exposiciones estatales para demostrar "Old Reliable". Los premios y galardones que ganaron, en casa y en el extranjero, ayudaron a hacer de “McCormick” una marca universal mucho antes de que la marca fuera una locura corporativa. Tal popularidad permitió a los McCormick cobrar más por sus máquinas y pagar comisiones más bajas a sus agentes.

En los primeros años, los McCormick crearon una red de agentes capacitados vinculados a ellos por contratos exclusivos y territorios exclusivos. Ordenaron, recibieron, entregaron y repararon los segadores que fabricaron. Más tarde, en la década de 1880, los agentes regionales que trabajaban a comisión fueron reemplazados por gerentes asalariados que supervisaban a los concesionarios franquiciados. La organización fue de primera.

Los nativos del condado de Rockbridge, Virginia, también supieron adaptar las ideas y los inventos de otros a su ventaja comercial. Claramente, su invención estimuló la invención de maquinaria agrícola más sofisticada por parte de aquellos con mayor inventiva de la que poseían. Con todas las mejoras tecnológicas consiguientes, mantuvieron tenazmente el ritmo: Self-Rake Reaper de Atkins, Harvester Withington's Wire Self-Binder de los hermanos Marsh y Deering's Twine Self-Binder. También eran inventores y prestatarios. Bill Gates podría ser la reencarnación de los hermanos McCormick. Las similitudes en sus respectivas estrategias y tácticas son sorprendentes.

Como ha señalado el biógrafo de Cyrus Hall McCormick, William T. Hutchinson, de manera bastante persuasiva, "sus días como inventor terminaron con su patente de 1847". A partir de entonces, compraron astutamente patentes, derechos de patente y licencias de otros, pagando regalías cuando era necesario, mientras sus abogados expertos luchaban en los tribunales en interminables "guerras de patentes" con sus rivales. Sus años en el negocio estuvieron inundados de litigios. No se desanimaron.

La decisión más inspirada de los McCormick, que se tomó en 1847, fue trasladar el centro de sus operaciones hacia el oeste, desde el valle de Shenandoah a Chicago. Se dieron cuenta de que el futuro del segador estaba en las Grandes Llanuras y en la frontera occidental. Al llegar primero, "se llevaron" una gran parte del mercado nacional. Esto también fue una gran apuesta, porque Chicago estaba entonces muy lejos del centro ferroviario en el que se convirtió más tarde. Su segador precedió al ferrocarril en Chicago por tres años. De hecho, establecieron su planta de producción en Chicago ANTES de que el telégrafo, los canales y los ferrocarriles llegaran a esa ciudad de 17.000 habitantes. Los McCormick apostaron por su futuro y se llevaron la lotería. El crecimiento de su empresa y el de Chicago se entrelazaron durante el resto del siglo y más allá. Los hermanos McCormick surgieron como los primeros grandes industriales de Chicago, los empresarios que eran dueños de su fábrica más grande.

La mudanza de los McCormick al “mercado de la pradera” puso fin a la era de la subfabricación descentralizada que se caracterizaba en un grado preocupante por una supervisión inadecuada, falta de confiabilidad y un control de calidad deficiente en lugares como Brockport, Nueva York y Cincinnati. Con la centralización de la producción en Chicago, la supervisión constante, comenzaron las mejoras en los procesos de fabricación y las economías de escala. Dado que las innovaciones de los McCormick en marketing y ventas habían resuelto muchos de los problemas más difíciles en la distribución masiva de la segadora, sobre cómo penetrar en un mercado nacional de agricultores, su primera fábrica de Chicago tenía libertad para atacar el problema de la producción a gran escala. escala. Cuando la producción en masa se integró con la distribución en masa, la megacorp hizo su debut en el sector de maquinaria agrícola. Y el camino hacia International Harvester se iluminó por primera vez.

LA PRIMERA FÁBRICA DE CHICAGO DE McCORMICK, 1848-1871

Between 1848 and 1871 the McCormick brothers regularly enlarged and improved their Chicago plant, which was designed with ready access to water and rail transportation. Comprised of both wood-working and iron-working departments, as well as a paint shop, and with docks on the Chicago River for receiving raw materials and shipping finished products, it was built to control costs. At first, some parts of the 1,200 pound reaper were manufactured elsewhere: sickles in Massachusetts guard fingers in New Jersey iron castings on the other side of Chicago. Raw materials arrived from all over the country and the world white ash lumber from Michigan pig iron from Pittsburgh and Scotland steel from England. But the story of the next half-century was one of integration, of lowering costs by eliminating more and more outside suppliers and middlemen. By 1870, the McCormicks were producing 10,000 machines annually at the Chicago factory.

CONTINGENCY IN AMERICAN BUSINESS HISTORY
1871 MARKED AN IMPORTANT TURNING POINT IN THE HISTORY OF THE McCORMICK COMPANY.

The Great Chicago Fire of that year proved both a terrible misfortune, as the original factory complex burned to the ground with great financial loss, and a perverse twist of good luck. Contingency is a powerful force in the life of an institution. Without “The Fire,” one can readily imagine a different fate for the McCormick brothers, Cyrus and Leander, brother William having died in 1865. Led by Leander, they relocated and rebuilt in a visionary fashion, with allowances made for prodigious future growth, the McCormicks obtained additional advantages over their competitors through the most up-to-date equipment, greater economies of scale, and wholesale efficiencies.

Thereafter, at the vast 230-acre “McCormick City,” which employed 1,400 workers in 1884 and whose main factory building was ten times the size of its predecessor, the McCormick Harvesting Machinery Company, which replaced the old partnership, C.H. & L.J. McCormick, in 1879, operated furnaces and foundries, produced its own iron, ran sawmills and the largest twine mill in the world, and even manufactured its own bolts and nuts. The company also purchased mines and forests to assure steady supplies for its furnaces and sawmills. In time, virtually every part of the McCormick harvesting machines would be made at this complex.12 “McCormick City” anticipated Henry Ford’s industrial colossus at the River Rouge by twenty-five years. What was needed to transform “McCormick City” into the River Rouge was another technological breakthrough, the moving assembly line.

“McCormick City” liberated supply. Production doubled between 1870 and 1880. Between 1880 and 1884, when Cyrus McCormick died and his son Cyrus, Jr. took over management of the company, output nearly trebled. By 1891, annual output approached four times its 1880 figure.

THE CREATION OF INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER

America’s very first outbreak of “merger mania” occurred between 1898 and 1902. Over that span 212 major consolidations took place in American industry. One of those mergers involved the McCormick Harvesting Machinery Company. In 1902, it combined with its chief competitor, William Deering & Co. and three smaller rivals, to create the megacorp, International Harvester. With assets of $110 million, and control of 85% of U. S. production of harvesting machines, IH was “a virtual monopoly.” By 1909, it was the fourth largest corporation in America, as well as the largest farm equipment company in the world. The corporate behemoth rested securely on foundations put firmly in place by the McCormick brothers. In recognition of their central role in the creation of International Harvester, the remaining McCormick heirs received 43% of the new company’s stock. And Cyrus, Jr., was chosen its first President.

According to Alfred Chandler, the dean of business historians, the initiative for the merger came from U. S. Steel and the Morgan bankers who dominated that corporate giant. Elbert Gary, head of U. S. Steel, feared that both the McCormick and Deering firms intended to build their own steel rolling mills, depriving him thereby of lucrative contracts and valuable customers. Gary’s efforts coincided with a readiness on the parts
of William Deering and Cyrus McCormick, Jr. to halt, once and for all, the fierce, cutthroat competition that troubled their industry.

Today, the once great conglomerate, International Harvester, is no longer extant—having been undermined by the competitors, such as John Deere, in the early 1980s. By the end of it’s life, the company produced a variety of products but focused primarily on farming equipment, small and heavy-duty trucks, and construction equipment, a massive organization which worked well in good times, but prevented the company from innovating during times of economic strain. International Harvester was split up into three separate companies, Navistar, Case IH (Fiat), McCormick Tractors, and Cub Cadet. Despite the break-up, the legacy of the McCormicks and of International Harvester lives on in the immense philanthropic gifts, most of which can be seen on the walls of the great Chicago and Virginia institutions, as well as countless McCormick-International Harvester aficionados across the country, who still consider McCormick the first name in farming.

1Robert Hall McCormick, had nine slaves. On the eve of the Civil War Cyrus owned “three or four” slaves, property which he hired out to his Walnut Grove neighbors while he lived in Chicago. See William T. Hutchinson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: Seedtime, 1809 – 1856 (New York, 1930), 17 William T. Hutchinson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: Harvest, 1856 – 1884 (New York, 1935), 38. Hereafter, cited as Vol. I and Vol. II.
2Herbert N. Casson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: His Life and Work (Chicago, 1909), 192.
3AlLeander made “long annual visits” to the Shenandoah Valley of his youth and Cyrus was elected in 1880 as the first president of the Virginia Society of Chicago. Hutchinson, Vol. II, 37 (fn. 1).
6Chapter Two, “A Legacy in the Heartland,” in Barbara Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy: The Agony of International Harvester Company (New York, 1985), 15 – 34, and Chapter Three, “Cyrus McCormick,” in Harold C. Livesay, American Made: Men Who Shaped the American Economy (Boston, 1979), shed abundant light on McCormick’s business innovations. Alfred D. Chandler’s The Visible Hand: The Managerial Revolution in American Business (Cambridge, MA., 1977), 305 – 7, 402 – 3, 406 – 11, details McCormick’s role in the “managerial revolution” that swept American industry in the late nineteenth century.
7Richard S. Tedlow, Giants of Enterprise: Seven Business Innovators and the Empires They Built (New York, 2001), 1. McCormick did qualify for inclusion in Daniel Gross, Forbes Greatest Business Stories of All Time (New York, 1966). See “Cyrus McCormick’s Reaper and the Industrialization of Farming,” 22 – 38.
8Casson, Cyrus Hall McCormick, 80.
7
9Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy, 23 Hutchinson, Vol. I, 249.
10James Wallace and Jim Erickson, Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire (New York, 1992), 117, 135, 269, 342, 352, 381, 390.
11Hutchinson, Vol. II, 360. 12Casson is especially informative about the development of “McCormick City.” 13Chandler, The Visible Hand, 306 – 7. 14Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy, 4, 41 – 2 Chandler, The Visible Hand, 408 – 9.


Death of Cyrus McCormick

Inventor and businessman Cyrus McCormick died on May 13, 1884, in Chicago, Illinois.

Cyrus Hall McCormick was born on February 15, 1809, in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. He was the oldest of eight children born to inventor Robert McCormick, Jr. Around the same time Cyrus was born, his father began working on a design for a mechanical reaper. He spent 28 years working on the design but never managed to make it right. So Cyrus went on to take up the project himself.

McCormick worked with Jo Anderson on the design. While some machines were designed to be pushed by horses, McCormick worked on a machine that would be pulled by horses and cut the grain on one side of the team. In 1831, McCormick held one of the first demonstrations of his new machine. He said he had developed the finalized version in 18 months. McCormick was then granted the patent for his reaper on June 21, 1834.

US #891 - Funda de primer día clásica.

During this time, McCormick and his family also had a blacksmith and metal smelting business, which nearly went bankrupt during the Panic of 1837. McCormick began holding more demonstrations of his machine, but most local farmers thought it was unreliable. McCormick continued to improve on his original design and eventually began to sell more – seven in 1842, then 29 in 1843, and 50 in 1844. The following year, he got another patent for the improvements made to the reaper.

US #891 – Rubber Stamp Cachet First Day Cover.

Up until this point, the machines were all built in the family farm shop. But McCormick soon realized that he was receiving orders for reapers from out west, where the farms were larger and flatter. McCormick then contracted to have his machines mass-produced at a factory in New York. In 1847, he and his brother opened their own factory in Chicago. The business prospered after that, aided by railroads that could help deliver the machines and replacement parts much quicker than ever before.

Item #81883 – Commemorative cover marking McCormick’s 179th birthday.

In 1851, McCormick took his reaper to the Crystal Palace Exhibition in London. His reaper successfully harvested a field while the Hussey machine (Obed Hussey who had a competing patent claim) failed. McCormick then won a gold medal and was admitted to the Legion of Honor, but also found out he had lost a court challenge of Hussey’s patent. By 1856, McCormick’s factory was producing over 4,000 reapers per year. Then in 1871, the factory burned down during the Great Chicago Fire, but he rebuilt it and reopened in 1873.

US #982 was issued for the 200th anniversary of Washington and Lee University.

McCormick was a devout Presbyterian all his life and committed much of his time and money to helping others. He helped create the Theological Seminary of the Northwest (later named the McCormick Theological Seminary) and donated $10,000 to help start the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA). McCormick and his wife also donated money to Tusculum College and helped create churches and Sunday Schools in the South after the Civil War. During the last 20 years of his life, McCormick was a benefactor and served on the board of trustees for Washington and Lee University.

After suffering a stroke in 1880, McCormick died on May 13, 1884, in his home in Chicago. He received many honors during and after his life – the French named him an Officer of the Legion of Honor and he was elected to the French Academy of Sciences for “having done more for the cause of agriculture than any other living man.” Many credit McCormick’s reaper with reducing human labor on farms, increasing productivity, and being a driving force in the industrialization of agriculture in dozens of nations.


McCormick County History

Hunters, traders and drovers coming into the area that is now McCormick County in the early 1700s discovered an unspoiled, enchanting, wilderness paradise. The virgin soil of the hills was dark red clay, rich and porous along the streams it was deep, dark and fertile sandy loam. The whole countryside was an adorned savanna as far as the eye could see – carpeted with wildflowers of every hue, canes, wild-pea, and native grasses in profusion, and trees spaced so far apart that deer and buffalo could be seen from afar.

The hills were forested with short-leaf pines and oaks, interspersed with cedars, persimmons, cherries, and locusts. Along the streams grew walnuts, cottonwoods, birches, hickories, and maples. Chestnuts, oaks, and poplars along the streams often grew to exceed seventy feet or more in height. The crystal-clear streams teemed with catfish, perch, bass, bream, and shad. Beavers, raccoons, otters, and muskrats trailed their banks. The soil was deemed ordinary when canes grew no higher than a man’s head but fertile when the canes attained a height of twenty or thirty feet. The land was the Native American hunter’s bonanza. It thronged with turkey, ducks, quail, geese, eagles, hawks, owls, songbirds, and wild animals – rabbits, squirrels, opossums, foxes, bobcats, wolves, and cougars. Buffalo, deer, and black bear abounded. The shaggy buffalo would later lend its name to locales like Buffalo Creek, Little Buffalo Creek, and Buffalo Baptist Church in the county. A hunter from Ninety-Six reported counting more than a hundred buffaloes grazing on a single acre near Long Cane Creek. Herds of deer numbering sixty and seventy roamed the natural habitat. A Cherokee hunter often killed two hundred deer in a year. In a good year tribesmen sold more than two hundred thousand deerskins to traders from Charles Town. In a single autumn, a hunter could kill enough black bear to salt down three thousand pounds of meat. The virgin soil of the hills was dark red clay, rich and porous along the streams it was deep, dark and fertile sandy loam. The whole countryside was an adorned savanna as far as the eye could see – carpeted with wildflowers of every hue, canes, wild-pea, and native grasses in profusion, and trees spaced so far apart that deer and buffalo could be seen from afar.

John Stevens maintained cow-pens near the crossing of the Cherokee Path, over Stevens Creek in 1715. The Cherokees called the Cherokee Path, “Suwali-Nana”. Stevens’ cow-pens lended the name for the creek. Likewise, cow-pens located on Cuffeytown Creek led to the creation of a trading post, probably called “Cuffey Town”, that was situated on the east side of the stream just above the bridge on U. S. Route 378, near Longmires, presently the Hollingsworth home. In 1756, George Bussey took up a 900-acre tract of land on Horn’s Creek below Stevens Creek. In the same year John Scott, formerly of Cuffeytown Creek, moved to Stevens Creek, where five years later he was made a justice of the peace. The Stevens Creek settlement was a fifteen-mile circle nearly surrounded on the south and west by Savannah River and Turkey Creek encompassing lower present-day McCormick County.

The 1747 treaty set the new Indian boundary at Long Cane Creek. It clearly stipulated that there would be no settling north of the boundary. The immediate effect of the treaty was to open land for settling along the Indian path.

Scots-Irish Arrive in the Long Canes

After General Edward Braddock’s defeat in 1755 during the French and Indian War, the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania were exposed to great danger from the French at Fort Duquesne on the Ohio River, and their Indians allies. Bands of warring Indians ravaged the frontiers populated mostly by Scots-Irish. Settlers evacuated the countryside. To escape the atrocities, five Scots-Irish families made their way down the Great Wagon Road from Virginia to the Waxhaws. The Calhouns – four brothers James, Ezekiel, William and Patrick, their sister Mary, widow of John Noble, and their mother Catherine. At the Waxhaws, they were induced by a band of hunters to visit the Long Canes in the Ninety-Six District. The hunters gave a glowing description of the Long Canes. The Calhouns arrived in the Long Canes (present-day McCormick County) in February 1756. They settled at a site on the east side of Long Cane Creek, where they built a palisade fort called Fort Long Canes. The site was less than a mile from present-day Long Cane A.R.P. Church, and two miles west of Troy. Before the end of the year the Calhouns crossed Long Cane Creek and relocated a few miles to the north to the Flatwoods on Little River (near present-day Mt. Carmel). The Flatwoods was located in Cherokee hunting lands. Their nearest neighbors were Robert Gouedy, a Scots-Irish Indian trader at Ninety-Six, and Andrew Williamson, a Scot cattle drover on Hard Labor Creek. The Calhouns assured the provincial government that they had secured permission of the Cherokees to settle there. How true it was cannot be ascertained. However, according the 1747 treaty the land was not legally open for settlement.

The Calhouns quickly petitioned for land grants and received hundreds of acres in the Flatwoods on Little River. Patrick Calhoun secured a deputation as land surveyor. Surveying these tracts began the near monopoly of land surveying that he held for seven years. They cleared land, planted crops and accumulated poultry, cattle, hogs, horses, and mules. These five pioneer families opened the way for development of the Long Canes. From the beginning the Calhouns were people of substance. Other Scots-Irish Presbyterian settlers followed the Calhouns down the Great Wagon Road from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Many of them were relatives and former neighbors of the Calhouns. Most, like the Calhouns, had originally settled in the backwoods of Pennsylvania, and had moved on into Virginia when settling became crowded. By 1759 the number of families had increased to twenty or thirty. Among those who located in Long Canes early were the Arthur Patton family, and the families Alexander, Anderson, Houston, Norris, and Pickens. “Squire” Patrick Calhoun, the family patriarch, was appointed a justice of the peace and became a prosperous farmer and the undisputed leader of the Calhoun Settlement in the Long Canes. In 1769, Calhoun was seated, albeit not without great effort, as a representative for Prince William Parish as the region’s first representative in the Royal Assembly in Charles Town. In 1775, he was elected from Ninety-Six District to the First Provincial Congress. William Calhoun was also commissioned a justice of the peace. He built a store on his place and carried on a lively trade with his white neighbors and with Cherokee Indians. The Indians brought deerskins, bear and beaver hides, ginseng, and other herbs, which they traded for guns and powder, farm tools and implements, household items, cloth and ribbons.

The Huguenots

The Huguenots were French Calvinists or French Reformed Protestants. Like the Scottish Presbyterians, they were followers of John Calvin, French religious reformer. The New Bordeaux colony was settled primarily by two separate groups: the first in 1764 under the leadership of Pastor Jean Louis Gibert, the second by fate in 1768. Early in the second half of the eighteenth century, Pastor Jean Louis Gibert, condemned to death by the French government seven years earlier for his Calvinist preaching, organized the migration for the New Bordeaux colony from his London base. British King George III’s interest in financing the Huguenot settlement was for bringing about quick settlement of the South Carolina back country following the Cherokee War of 1760. His Commissioners designated a location in the thinly settled back country, the strategy being to create a buffer to protect the Charleston tidewater area against Indian uprisings.

The sailing vessel slid out of the harbor, and headed northward toward the English Channel and Plymouth, England, on August 9, 1763. The Friendship dropped anchor in Charles Town, South Carolina on the 12th of April 1764. The town of New Bordeaux was planned and built in the design typical of a French village on Little River. Log homes were built on half-acre lots in neat rows along narrow streets. Once situated, the Huguenots immediately adopted a local governmental council consisting of five members – the justice of peace, the minister, and the three officers of the village militia. North of the village were the family, four-acre vineyard lots stretching along gentle slopes toward the river. On these mini-farms the Huguenots developed olive groves and grape vineyards. On the same lots they cultivated garden crops such as maize (Indian corn), potatoes, beans, and cabbage.

Four years later, contrary winds caused another group of colonists to join the already established settlement at New Bordeaux. Jean Louis Dumesnil de St. Pierre, a French Huguenot refugee living in London, conceived a plan to establish a colony in North America to cultivate a wine and silk industry on a commercial scale. He petitioned King George III for land to settle upon on. The British monarch approved the scheme and promised St. Pierre a land grant of 40,000 acres on Cape Sable Island near Halifax in Nova Scotia. After more than three years of preparation and anticipation, St. Pierre and his French and German protestant colonists boarded the St. Peter in London harbor for a perilous voyage bound for Cape Sable Island in Nova Scotia. They departed on September 26, 1767. When not long at sea, the St. Peter began to encounter choppy waters. Increasingly brisk winds began to lash the vessel in this record-breaking early winter season. As the weeks passed into months, gale after gale brought the fury of rain and hail and bitter-cold, winter winds. Ten of the colonists who died of scurvy in-route were forever entombed in frigid watery graves. By the first day of January 1768, the St. Peter was situated, “at latitude 41° north,” according to St. Pierre’s journal, which described the ship as “being very leaky and the Colonists reduced to three pounds of bread for nine days and very sick of the scurvy, they did oblige (him) to bear and put into the harbour of Charles Town.” The helmsman steered the brigantine carrying the colonists toward Charles Town, South Carolina. Better weather prevailed. Nearly six weeks later, the St. Peter limped into the seaport on February 10, 1768. In Charles Town, Lord Charles Montagu encouraged St. Pierre to settle his Protestant colonists in the South Carolina back country with the French Huguenots at New Bordeaux. Huguenot Parkway at Sheridan.

The German Palatines

Johann Heinrich Christian, Sieur de Stumpel was a German of high position. For several months he enlisted Germans who turned over everything of value to de Stumpel’s agent – homes, land, and personal property. A good portion of the colonists were from the area called the German Palatinate – the entire group has usually been referred to as “Palatines.” The riverboats arrived. De Stumpel’s plan was set into motion. The boats slid along the Rhine River picking up German emigrants who had assembled at numerous points. The voyagers were conveyed down the Rhine to the seaport of Rotterdam in the Netherlands. At Rotterdam the excited Germans boarded ships. The ships set sail upon the open sea. There was great jubilation among the passengers as they lost sight of land. They expected to touch port briefly in England where Sieur de Stumpel would be waiting to pay for passage and to make the final arrangements for their settlement in Nova Scotia, and then to put to sea for the journey to the Americas. Finally, after a year of soulful deliberation, apprehension, preparation, and severance from the land of their birth, these bold-spirited German colonists were on the way – Auf dem Weg zum Schlaraffenland! (On the way to the “wonderland!”) So they thought! When the ships docked in London in late August everything went out of whack. Sieur de Stumpel was nowhere to be found, and there was no sign of any agent who might be working for him. The shipmasters were enraged. They demanded passage money. The refugees had none. The Germans were mercilessly thrown off the ships, and their baggage was confiscated. They had no food, no money, no clothes, and no way of communicating with the English-speaking people gawking at them. And they had no leader in their group. They were totally destitute! Finally, leaving the wharf, the bedraggled refugees struggled past the warehouses and into a road that led them to Whitechapel Fields where they sat down along the common. That night a cold rain drenched them. For two days they had no food. Their luck changed a little when an English baker saw them and brought them loaves of bread. After several days without food, except for the loaves, word of their destitution reached the Reverend Gustav Anthon Wachsel, pastor of the new German Lutheran church in London called St. George’s. The church had been built by the pastor’s uncle, a rich German named Beckmann, for the many Germans working in sugar refineries of the neighborhood. The pastor caused the state of their wretched plight to be published in a London newspaper, and immediately went to the aid of the refugees. His parish quickly mobilized and began relief work. The military raised tents to reduce their exposure to the weather. By this time there had already been deaths among the emigrants. As a result of the newspaper coverage, Lord Halifax directed an appeal to the King to intervene and to settle the German Palatines in America. Sieur de Stumpel never showed up. Nor did his agent. After several weeks, the refugees were told that they would be settled in South Carolina. London’s Gentlemen’s Magazine for Tuesday, September 13, 1764, wrote, “In compliance with a petition for that purpose, his Majesty has been graciously pleased to order, that the Palatines now so liberally provided for shall be sent to, and established in Carolina, for which purpose 150 stand of arms have been already delivered out for their use and contracts were made for their immediate transportation.”

Six weeks later vessels with German refugees aboard lifted anchor, and set sail from London, bound for Charles Town, South Carolina. Ihre Reise war wiederum im Fortschritt! (Their journey was under way once again.) The Dragon, commanded by Francis Hammot dropped anchor on the night of December 13, 1764. After nine weeks at sea the voyage was over.

As instructed, Patrick Calhoun built the large community house near Hard Labor Creek. It served as a “center” until the settlers could get settled on their individual tracts of land. In February 1765, the rest of the German colonists arrived in Charles Town aboard Captain Lonley’s Planter’s Adventure. The Lieutenant Governor intended to settle the Germans very near the French Huguenots of New Bordeaux, and the Scots-Irish of the Long Canes. But, upon learning of the still present threat of Indian raids, the German Palatines chose to settle several miles southeasterly. A township containing some 25,000 acres was laid out, and named Londonborough in honor of their London benefactors. The German colonists selected lands in the vicinity of Hard Labor Creek, Cuffeytown Creek, Horsepen Creek, Sleepy Creek, Rocky Creek, Mountain Creek, and Turkey Creek.

afroamericano entered the county early. About 1755, John Scott, a Scots-Irish trader with at least five African slaves, took up a tract of land. His son Samuel Scott established a ferry on Savannah River near the present-day town of Clarks Hill. Other settlers, including George Bussey, brought slaves with them, and located in that same valley that came to be known as Stevens Creek settlement – a fifteen-mile circle nearly surrounded on the south and west by Savannah River and Turkey Creek.

At about the same time, John Chevis, a free black carpenter from Virginia, with a wife, nine children, and a foundling infant, was granted a tract of land on Little River, five miles above its junction with Long Cane Creek. It appears that Chevis had initially come into the Stevens Creek settlement.

By the beginning of the American Revolution there were African slaves in Stevens Creek, the Long Canes and New Bordeaux settlements, and other areas of present day McCormick County. In 1790, one fourth of the white families owned slaves.

The Long Cane Indian Massacre

February 1, 1760, was a cold, winter day in the Calhoun settlement at Long Canes in present-day McCormick County. During the morning, the settlers received the alarm of an impending attack planned by Indian warriors from the Lower Towns and the Middle Towns of the Cherokee Nation. Risking her life, Cateechee, a Cherokee maiden, rode some seventy miles on horseback from her Keowee home in the Lower Towns to warn settlers. The daring dash by Cateechee probably saved the Long Canes settlement from total annihilation.

The settlers of Long Canes hastily began preparations to flee some sixty miles south to Tobler’s Fort at Beech Island in New Windsor Township, just across the Savannah River from Augusta, Georgia. Within hours of the warning a first group of over a hundred persons left the Long Canes and would reach Tobler’s Fort unmolested. Shortly thereafter the rest of the settlers moved out in a wagon train of about 150 persons. Travel was hampered due to the ground being soggy wet from recent rainy weather. After traveling a few miles, they reached Long Cane Creek where they experienced great difficulty in crossing the creek and climbing the hill on the east side. By that time, it was late and the decision was made to make camp for the night.

Meanwhile, a Cherokee war party of about a hundred Indian braves, reportedly led by Chief Big Sawny and Chief Sunaratehee, arrived at the Long Canes settlement and found it abandoned. They pursued the trail of the settlers for a while and decided to cease pursuit. At the moment, they were about to turn around, they faintly heard shouts of the fleeing settlers as they probably were making the creek crossing. The war party quickly resumed pursuit, crossed the creek at another site and went into hiding. When at their most defenseless moment, the Indians attacked. The campsite was at once a scene of total pandemonium. In the wild confusion only a few of the fifty-five to sixty fighting men could lay hand on their guns. Women and children scrambled for any available cover and became separated. Casualties among the settlers mounted very quickly. The men were able to hold off the attacking Indians for no more than a half-hour. Realizing the futility of further resistance, the surviving settlers, aided by then night, assembled as best they could and fled on horses, leaving behind the wagons containing all their earthly possessions. In the short half-hour, the Long Canes settlers suffered fifty-six killed and a number taken captive. The Cherokee raiding party sustained twenty-one killed and a number wounded. Among the killed was Chief Sunaratehee. 2 mi. west of Troy, Sec. Rd. 36, Rd. 341.

The Battle of Long Canes was fought by Patriot militia against British and Loyalist forces on the east side of the creek December 12, 1780 during the Revolutionary War. 2 mi. west of Troy on Sec. Rd. 36.

Viena, the first commercial center in present-day McCormick County, is now a ghost town under the waters of Lake Thurmond. Located five miles southeast of present-day Mt. Carmel, Vienna was one of three thriving sister cities that developed on Savannah River in the late 1700s. Opposite on the Georgia side in the fork between Savannah and Broad rivers was Petersburg, and on the south side of Broad River and Savannah fork was Lisbon, both in then Wilkes County. The location of the three towns where two rivers met was a great advantage in water transportation. Yet the trade centers needed land transportation for bringing in the products of plantations, especially tobacco and cotton to be shipped and for travel. The towns were made accessible for wheeled conveyances, and became the location where land travel from western South Carolina and from the north and east of upper Georgia crossed. An integrated stage line from Milledgeville, Georgia to Washington, D. C., ran through Petersburg and Vienna as did a United States mail route. Flat boats called Petersburg Boats carried loads of tobacco, cotton, and flour down river to Augusta. Two ferries provided constant service across the River. Westward migration brought a drastic decline in the prosperity of Vienna and her sister cities Petersburg and Lisbon by the early 1820s. The town government of the dying town was abandoned in 1831. 5 mi. southwest of Mt Carmel, at end of Sec. Rd. 91, under water.

John de la Howe, (1710–1797) a French physician, came to South Carolina ca. 1764 and settled in the New Bordeaux French Huguenot community. His will left most of his estate, including Lethe Plantation, to the Agricultural Society of South Carolina to establish a home and school for underprivileged children. The Lethe Agricultural Seminary was founded here after de la Howe’s death in 1797.

Initially restricted to twenty-four boys and girls from what was then Abbeville County, with preference given to orphans, the school emphasized manual training, or instruction in operating a self-sufficient farm. In 1918, the school was turned over the State of South Carolina, opened to children from every county in the state, and renamed John de la Howe School. It is now a group child care agency. On Route 81, 2 mi. southwest of Route 28.

The quest for gold occupies a unique chapter in the annals of American history. It occupies a special place in the history of the Town of McCormick. The zealous quest for the precious metal influenced two men to the extent that it induced the spawning of the settlement and then town that became McCormick. In spite of their mutual interest the two men probably never met. The first was William Burkhalter Dorn’s unrelenting search for and discovery of gold. Dorn’s discovery of the mother lode at Peak Hill in 1852 insured the Dorn Mine a top spot in nineteenth century gold mining in South Carolina. Dorn made extensive investments in real property in the area and was an outstanding philanthropist. As a result of Dorn’s Mine a small settlement called Dorn’s Gold Mines sprang up around the mines. A post office by that name was established in 1857. Cyrus Hall McCormick’s investment in and ultimate purchase of the Dorn Mine from Billy Dorn, and his influence in the acquisition of a railroad terminal at the site clinched the permanence of the Town of McCormick. McCormick’s interest in securing a railroad connection to the Augusta and Greenwood Railroad was an attempt to boost the success of his gold and manganese mines.

Interest in the Dorn Mine was greatly increased because of the participation of the great nineteenth century industrialist Cyrus McCormick. The man who single-handedly changed the face of American agriculture would not experience similar success through his investment in the Dorn Mine, but he will be remembered for adding an engaging chapter to the saga of the mines, and for ensuring the future of the Town of McCormick. Cyrus Hall McCormick, born February 15, 1809, on the family farm Walnut Grove, in Rockbridge County, Virginia, was of Scots-Irish ancestry. At the age of twenty-two, McCormick devised the invention which would change his life and dramatically increase the efficiency of the American farmer. In 1831, and in only six weeks to develop the world’s first successful reaping machine. In all the centuries prior to 1831, there had been invented but two new agricultural implements for harvesting: the scythe (sixteenth century) and the cradle (eighteenth century). From that beginning in 1831, he rose to national prominence. Envisioning Chicago as the future railroad hub and gateway to the expanding West, he chose the Windy City as the site of his factory in 1847. Within two years, he repaid his creditors, and McCormick and Company (later known as International Harvester) was a sensational success.


Historia

The roots of International Harvester can be traced back to the 1830s, when Cyrus Hall McCormick, an inventor from Virginia, finalized his version of a horse-drawn reaper. The reaper was demonstrated in tests in 1831 and was patented by Cyrus in 1834. Together with his brother, McCormick moved to Chicago in 1847 and started the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company. The McCormick reaper sold well, partially as a result of savvy and innovative business practices. Their products came onto the market just as the development of railroads offered wide distribution to distant market areas. He developed marketing and sales techniques, developing a vast network of trained salesmen able to demonstrate operation of the machines in the field.

McCormick died in Chicago, with his company passing on to his son, Cyrus McCormick, Jr. In 1902, the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company and Deering Harvester Company, along with three smaller agricultural equipment firms (Milwaukee Plano and Warder, Bushnell, and Glessner (manufacturers of Champion brand)) merged together to create the International Harvester Company (IHC).

los McCormick-Deering tractors were renamed to just McCormick, which continued in Europe. In the USA, the tractors were later renamed International.

International Harvester sold off the Ag division in 1985 and later renamed the company. The Agricultural devision being bought by Tenneco, parent to J.I.Case, thus combining them to form Case IH tractor division and Case CE division for construction plant.

Case IH then decided to merge with Fiat's New Holland subsidiary to form CNH. This lead to the competition authorities in several countries ruling that for the merger to proceed they had to sell some production capacity in certain markets. The result was the Versatile factories in in Canada building high horse power machines were sold as the Steiger brand was retained. And in Europe the former International Harvester factory at Doncaster was sold along with some of the Case IH models built there and re branded as McCormick Tractors International Ltd owned by ARGO SpA of Italy, parent company of Landini.


Business Success

McCormick produced more of the machines, and at first, he only sold them to local farmers. But as word of the machine's amazing functionality spread, he began selling more. He ultimately started a factory in Chicago. The McCormick Reaper revolutionized agriculture, making it possible to harvest large areas of grain much faster than could have been done by men wielding scythes.

Because farmers could harvest more, they could plant more. So McCormick's invention of the reaper made the possibility of food shortages, or even famine, less likely.

It was said that before McCormick's machinery changed farming forever, families would have to struggle to cut enough grain during the fall to last them until the next harvest. One farmer, highly skilled at swinging at scythe, might only be able to harvest two acres of grain in a day.

With a reaper, one man with a horse could harvest large fields in a day. It was thus possible to have much larger farms, with hundreds or even thousands of acres.

The earliest horse-drawn reapers made by McCormick cut the grain, which fell onto a platform so it could be raked up by a man walking alongside the machine. Later models consistently added practical features, and McCormick's farm machinery business grew steadily. By the end of the 19th century, McCormick reapers did not just cut wheat, they could also thresh it and put it into sacks, ready for storage or shipment.

At the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London, McCormick exhibited his latest model. The American machine was the source of much curiosity. McCormick's reaper, during a competition held at an English farm in July 1851, outperformed a British-made reaper. When the McCormick reaper was returned to the Crystal Palace, the site of the Great Exhibition, word had spread. In the crowds attending the exhibition, the machine from America became a must-see attraction.

In the 1850s McCormick's business grew as Chicago became the center of the railroads in the Midwest, and his machinery could be shipped to all parts of the country. The spread of the reapers meant that American grain production also increased.

It has been noted that McCormick's farming machines may have had an impact on the Civil War, as they were more common in the North. And that meant farmhands going off to war had less impact on grain production. In the South, where hand tools were more common, the loss of farm hands to the military had much more impact.

In the years following the Civil War the company founded by McCormick continued to grow. When workers at McCormick's factory struck in 1886, events surrounding the strike led to the Haymarket Riot, a watershed event in American labor history.

List of site sources >>>


Ver el vídeo: Capitalism 51, Cyrus Hall McCormick (Enero 2022).